The automotive industry depends on a broad range of components that develop crucial systems and support infrastructure that is assembled to give shape to a complete automobile. The Rubber seals are one of the most important parts of any automotive vehicle for smooth functioning & transportation. These integrated systems withstand the impacts of vibration and motion from the engine, driving surfaces, and other factors. Seals & gaskets ensure enough cushioning and firm seals to keep the gases and liquids from leakage. As one of the best rubber products manufacturers in India, Sujan Industries provides a wide range of rubber sealing solutions from the transmission to the engine to the windows and doors, etc.
Important characteristics of Rubber seals used in the Automotive Industry
As rubber gaskets and seals play an important role in an automotive vehicle, it must execute below important characteristics for smooth operation & comfort of transportation.
- Able to withstand up to high speeds, extreme temperature & pressure
Using high-quality seals confirms each part operates reliably and independently.
Types of automotive rubber seals
There are a few rubber sealing solutions that are used in the automotive sector and the most important ones are as follows:
1. Seals and Gaskets: Seals and gaskets are one of the vital components of the automotive industry that are mostly used for critical sealing applications. Hence, the selection between gaskets and seals is very important. The design of these parts is specifically helpful for maintaining the required functionality as per specifications and standards to minimize leakage and avoid the chances of risk.
However, there are a few differences between these two rubber seals and these are:
- Seals are dynamic parts whereas gaskets are static objects.
- Unlike gaskets, Seals prevent dust and dirt from entering the joint.
- Upon breaking down, seals and bearings have to be replaced whereas if a gasket fails you can only replace it with a brand new set.
- Seals are not so handy, unlike gaskets.
2. Oil Seals: Oil seals are important mechanical parts that are used in pumps, pipe connections, hydraulic systems, pistons, and so on. Mainly these products are used to stop any fluid leakage and also fill the gaps between stationary and moving parts. Also known as fluid seals, dirt seals, shaft seals, grease seals, rotary seals etc., they can keep any contaminations from getting into the system in challenging situations. Apart from that, these oil sealing solutions stop intermixing two diverse mediums like water and lubricating oil.
3. Rubber Washers: These types of seals are flat rubber rings and have an open Centre that allows fluid to go through the linked components. They ensure a non-abrasive and tight seal to safeguard it from vibration, leaks and electrical charges.
4. Rubber Gaskets: These are highly customizable parts that are broadly used in the automotive industry to meet the needs of customer-specific requirements. They are used to prevent leakage between linked parts due to their durability and temperature resistance.
5. Rubber Bushings: Rubber bushings are flexible and simple to use for components like internal combustion, gear sticks, and suspension systems. They help reduce vibration, absorb shock, eliminate the lubrication needed between parts, and resist abrasion.
6. O-rings: Made from elastomeric materials, O-rings help seal two nearby surfaces to prevent liquid leakage. They have close contact with the sealing surface and are crafted to bear extreme temperature, load, liquids, and corrosive gases.
Application of rubber seals in the automotive sector
Rubber sealing parts have a key role in the automotive industry. Primary uses of these sealing parts in any mechanical instrument involve reducing vibrations and minimizing the damage from vibrations, filling the gap between components, stopping contamination from dirt or moisture, preventing leakage of gases or liquids etc.
Unlike other seals in other industries, seals in the automotive industry are durable, extremely reliable, and silent. They can survive extreme vibrations and heavy-duty use that are related to a running engine. Rubber sealing parts help the vehicle function and run properly. Not only in cars but they are also used in ATVs, motorcycles, off-road heavy vehicles and equipment. Here are some applications of rubber seals in automotive industries:
- Cooling system gaskets seal parts within the system to safeguard the coolant from leaking out.
- Highly flexible and good quality seals and gaskets are connected to the transmission axle to safeguard it from grime, dirt, and other contaminants that might ruin the transmission.
- Electrical seals prevent dirt and moisture from entering the electrical system where they could cause some malfunctions like fires, sparks, shorts, etc.
- Gaskets and seals absorb extra heat and compression while making sure that the fluids, oils, or coolant don’t ooze out of the engine compartment.
- Fuel supply gaskets are placed in between the fuel pump mounting surface and the fuel pump space and maintain pressure within the engine compartment.
- Gaskets and transmission seals are used in external and internal transmission parts to get pressure-tight connections in servos, accumulators, transmission axle cases, and clutch packs.
- The seals and gaskets that are used around windshields are the key factors in comfort and safety, cushioning the windshield against flexing movements, maintaining air quality, and safeguarding the occupants from noise, water, and wind.
Functions of rubber seals in the automotive sector
Rubber seals are really an integral component of the automotive sector. Some important rubber sealing solutions used in this sector are seals, gaskets, rubber washers, rubber gaskets, O-ring seals, oil seals, etc. However, the functions of these key parts include the following:
- Keep contaminants from crucial components of the vehicle at bay. They also prevent debris or dust from entering the engine and other vehicle parts.
- Make the liquid and gas enclosed within the chamber. There are rubber sealing solutions in the gas tank that help the vehicle utilize the fuel totally, without wasting a bit of it.
- Keep the gases and liquids separated from one another in vehicles that use gases and liquids to work properly. Instances include brakes for the brake fluid, the engine that holds the engine oil and the coolant, and the reservoir to hold the fluid in the power steering.
- Help safeguard bearings. Bearings are important parts that need to be spotless. And the rubber sealing solutions keep the powder and dust from entering the assembly, thereby safeguarding the bearing.
Rubber Sealing Solutions from Sujan Industries
Sujan Industries is one of the tops rubber products manufacturers in India and a leading global supplier of rubber seals for various demanding applications in various industries like Automotive, Aerospace, Railways, Electrical, Off-highway, Power, etc. We use different rubber materials like Neoprene, Silicone, EPDM, Viton (Fluorocarbon), Nitrile (Buna-N), SBR, Butyl, Natural, Acrylic (ACM), Vamac (AEM), Polyurethane, Fluorosilicone, Hydrogenated Nitrile rubber (HNBR), ECO rubber, etc. based on the application & specific requirements from the customer. Our excellence has been built on our ability to provide our valued customers with the most effective designing, engineering, and manufacturing solutions to meet their demanding & critical application requirements.
Get in Touch with us to get a better technology Rubber Seals solution for your projects.